Search Function in the Lower Right Hand Area of a Patient's Chart
Created by: Mark Julian
Modified on: Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Special Criteria Window
About the Special Criteria option Patient Records can display the Special Criteria screen for any note-based section of the patient chart (including progress notes and history notes). All fields are optional. Fill in only the relevant fields. WITHIN each of the three main criteria (dates, problems, text pattern) "OR" logic is used. "AND" logic is used BETWEEN the three main criteria. You can search the progress notes by up to four specific dates (by day, month and year) and/or two ranges of dates (by day, month, and year). You can search for up to three specific problems from the patient’s problem list and you can search the progress notes by up to three specific text patterns. Patient Records attempts to match the text exactly as you type it. Use any combination of letters, numbers, spaces and punctuation to find the progress notes for which you are looking. For example, you can select all progress notes for three patient visit dates concerning one or two problems that also contain one of two text patterns. For example, you can look for all progress notes for Mrs. Smith for January 8, June 16, and October 10 for "low back pain" or "U.R.I." that contain the phrases "very severe" or "moderately severe." If there is more than one screen of notes, move to the next screen by clicking the Older button. The Newer button returns you to the previous screen. Because the notes are arranged in reverse chronological order, the Newer button scrolls to more recent notes. The Older button scrolls to older patient notes. You can search by practice and by oldest notes (that is, the last xx number of notes added in Patient Records).
Examples of special criteria searches Simple searches:
More complex searches:
- Enter a couple of dates or a single range of dates.
- Enter a single problem name (e.g., low back pain).
- Enter a single text pattern (e.g., "severe depression").
- Select the five oldest notes.
Very complex searches:
- Enter two date ranges and a provider ID. You will get notes in both ranges for that provider.
- Enter two date ranges and a problem name. You will get notes with that problem name in both of the specified date ranges.
- Enter a text pattern and a problem name. For example, the combination of the text pattern "severe" and the problem name "low back pain" retrieves only notes with the problem name "low back pain" which contain the word "severe."
- Enter a problem name and choose a number of oldest notes. For example, if you enter "low back pain" and 5 oldest notes, you will see the five oldest notes concerning low back pain.
- Select several dates or date ranges, two problems, and two text patterns. You will get notes in all designated dates and/or date ranges, for either of the two problems, and for either of the two text patterns.
Accessing the Special Criteria screen To display the Special Criteria screen for all note-based chart sections:
- On the patient chart, mark the Search option button on the right side of the screen. Once you mark this option button, the Special Criteria screen will appear when you select any text-based section.
For example, if you want to retrieve a patient’s chest X-Rays for the last three years, you can click the X-Ray tab. When the Special Criteria screen appears, you can then enter a range of dates and Chest X-Ray in the title box. The patient’s chest X-Ray reports for those dates will appear in reverse chronological order.
- To turn off the Special Criteria screen, mark the All option button on the right side of the screen.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.